Red #40 – A Colorful Killer

Manufacturers use artificial dyes to make our foods look more appealing and fresher. Unfortunately, many of these food dies are very dangerous to our health. Red #40 is one of these harmful food additives; in fact, it’s the most commonly used artificial coloring used in foods. Many people have had adverse reactions to Red #40, and some have even seen severe personality changes and increased hyperactivity in their children.

We’ve already discussed how MSG, BHA and BHT and pesticides are all contributing to what I have coined as the “ADHD phenomenon”. Red #40 is also a big contributor…so, just to sum it up, the food industries are putting these chemicals in our food that are causing our children to become sick, then we have to pay money for the doctors to give us more drugs for our children to take!

Who’s losing out?? WE ARE! Think of all the families that only make enough money to cover their bills each month…how can they afford extra medical payments? The best solution is to stop feeding our kids these terrible chemicals!!

Red #40 causes hyperactivity in children, caused immune-system tumors in animal studies, and has caused many people to have severe allergic reactions ranging from hives and swelling, to anaphylactic shock. Yeah, it really sounds safe, doesn’t it???

On top of all that, Red #40 contains ingredients known to cause cancer. None of the industries want to stop the use of products such as these, because everyone will lose money (the food companies, and the medical field).

It is best to avoid the ingestion of this colorful killer altogether. Any foods that are colored red, pink, purple or orange may contain Red #40; some apples are even injected with it to increase the brightness of the color.
When you read the food labels, look for either “Red #40” or “Red #40 Lake”. The word “lake” afterwards means it was made water soluble by mixing the dye with aluminum hydroxide. This practice is most commonly seen in pills (so the color doesn’t fade) but is in some foods as well.

Let’s take back the power over our kids’ lives and stop eating these terrible chemicals the food industries are trying to kill us with!!!!

29 Comments

1. Norm Benedict on July 7, 2010 at 9:32 am

There is a move on now in Washington to get the FDA to ban the most flagrant of the synthetic dyes. The group heading the fight is the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI)… you can find out more on their site.

Meanwhile, those interested might want to check out a company that has perfect a natural alternative to synthetic dyes. The company is called Suntava and is located in the suburbs of Minneapolis. Go to http://www.suntava.com

2. Ashley on September 10, 2010 at 8:37 am

hey, nice blog…really like it and added to bookmarks. keep up with good work

3. Brianna on November 9, 2015 at 9:36 pm

I am studying to become an RD and I was doing some research on artificial flavors and colors. I would like to use the information that you have provided in a presentation that I am doing in a couple of weeks, but it is important that I know what research articles were used while writing this article as well as what your credentials are. Thank you.

4. John Doe on November 11, 2015 at 11:13 am

Hey, this is kind of inaccurate. First of all, artificial food colorings don’t cause ADHD. That’s just silly. Second, the addition of Aluminum Hydroxide makes the dye INsoluble, which is the opposite of soluble. Basically, it changes the makeup of the dye so it doesn’t wash off in water. Also, in the amounts used by the food industry, Aluminum Hydroxide is completely safe for consumption. It’s actually sold as an antacid in some places.

5. Tom Compise on November 12, 2015 at 1:25 pm

So these companies are trying to kill us so that we can not continue to buy their products? What?

6. Jkandjk LGK2015 on January 14, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Really ? Because its in the food still . thanks for trying but remember everyone that dies if they eat it and have a problem its on your own head when God Comes Back. God Bless And Keep Us Safe.

7. Christopher Michas on February 21, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Hi just curious where you get your data? I am a father of 3 girls under 10 and frequently check food labels as my oldest has a tree nut allergy. However I’m concerned because you don’t cite any sources so there is no way to confirm any of your statements. I’m not illuding to your honesty it’s just that I’m an academic and checking sources is an important part of any research project. Could you publish a list of sources so we can see how you drew your conclusions? Thank you.

8. Marty Miller on February 26, 2016 at 3:01 pm

My goodness, this is terrible. Till now I use to scoff and chuckle when I read, “red #40 lake.”
    I would think, “ah, red#39 lake just wasn’t cuttin it huh?”
    Then I would go to enjoy the rest of my Doritos chips or skittles candy.
    I never bothered doing a web search until The Lord recently prompted me to do so.

9. Scared on March 25, 2016 at 1:46 pm

This is really scary, I’m only 10 and I was eating some skittles. I looked at the ingredients and saw red 40. I remembered that one of my classmates has a allergy to it so I looked it up. Now that I learned about it its more than just some creepy name on a food label, it’s creepy itself! I feel so scared, I don’t want to get cancer.
    I have also noticed I have been acting more strange. I don’t know how to explain. Maybe I have been eating red 40 🙁

10. giles on April 2, 2016 at 3:43 pm

We are in France and Bought some imported candy cane bubble gum for my boy. He went mental on it and was climbing the walls. We are so lucky in Europe that most of this rubbish is banned or not tolerated. How can you let thus stuff be sold get heavy with the manufacturers it isn’t necessary and should not be allowed. Needless to say we threw this junk away.

11. Dayana on April 15, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Hi I eat takis and I ate about 3/4 I don’t eat this all the time but well it actually cause cancer? I don’t know if I should finish it!

12. Kyle on April 28, 2016 at 6:21 am

Hey guys I’m just going to say that red lake #4 is really dangerous… I had A LOT of spicy chips that had that stuff in it and I have had stomach problems ever since… so to sum it up, if you dont want stomach pain 24/7, occasional tremors at night,bowel issues,or decreased athletic ability, DO NOT EAT RED LAKE #40!!!

13. Thank you for the info on May 19, 2016 at 3:58 pm

It’s no wonder so many kids have autism

14. Jay on July 15, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Lake means it’s not water soluble. You should also provide sources where you got your information from.

15. really on August 24, 2016 at 9:51 am

Yeah…. none of this is true. Have any actual data to back this up?

16. Jc on January 1, 2017 at 9:30 am

Kudos for trying to get this message out there. There is plenty of research to back this up. This site has some good info as well: http://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/is-red-dye-40-toxic

17. SweetJesus on January 18, 2017 at 7:15 pm

I feel like you’re one of those people who thinks vaccines cause autism. Tell me if I’m wrong.

18. Mark Silva on February 23, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Would you call peanut butter a killer because some people are terribly allergic to it?
    Let’s see the research for claims like these.
    Also, don’t you think eating a lot of spicy chips might upset your stomach regardless of the coloring used? Hmmmm
    MS
    Mt. View, Ca

19. wtf on February 27, 2017 at 2:23 pm

The FDA has not banned this dye, so where are you getting your resources from. One study with rats? It is on the list of dyes that requires certification but not banned for health risks…..

20. dont read last comments on March 2, 2017 at 5:18 pm

food dye is cancerous not just to rats

21. therealtalk on March 6, 2017 at 12:15 pm

well hey im just saying i eat it lots of people do and they are perfectly ien mabey your kids have an dallegy to it ok most these blogs are the parents that check every little thing soccor moms yoga pants moms like jeez

22. therealtalk on March 6, 2017 at 12:19 pm

You are one of those homeopathic type people arnt you that believes estinal oils solves everything and stuff like that you probably shop at sprouts or whole foods and shove lettuce down your kids throats i mean really just chill a bit you have no evidence and and nothing to back this up just your mom blogs so just chill lady

23. jazmine on March 16, 2017 at 2:43 pm

wow great guys really (~~)

24. Nigga on April 20, 2017 at 11:51 pm

Well get your kids vaccinated hipster

25. Brianna Rodvelt on April 25, 2017 at 9:13 pm

I never eat red 40 it really really bad for you my grandma died from cancer from that

26. Screaming for psychology on June 15, 2017 at 12:45 pm

I have ADD and let me tell you first hand ADD and ADHD are genetic, not caused by some silly food dye. Actually research this kind of stuff instead of just saying something that makes next to no sense.

27. Shadyshadow on June 19, 2017 at 10:58 pm

Food dyes cause cancer, tv’s emit radiation, fast food has added chemicals to cause addiction, and of course cell phones scramble our brain waves. We are ALL screwed I guess. Might as well enjoy it before it all destroys us. Trump sucks Antichrist

28. Melanie on July 18, 2017 at 2:00 am

Everyone who is commenting that this is not true, you have obviously not done your research. You can google this information yourselves and find that this dye along with many other dyes have been banned in other countries because of their harmful effects. She isn’t making this stuff up! The US is a twisted money hungry country and will do anything to keep the money coming in. Do your research people!

29. Jessica on July 24, 2017 at 1:26 am

Hi!
    Please contact me at the email provided, I am very interested in exposing more people to the harmful effects of red dye, and all dyes! I see my 6 year old daughter turn into a different kid when she has it(totally raged out), as well as thousands of other parents. Lets make a documentary!! 🙂