OK, I have a new recipe for you! You’ll need potatoes, carrots and some Antifreeze…what’s the matter? You don’t like Antifreeze? It’s in many of the foods you are already eating, so why don’t you want to cook with it? OK, so it’s not actual Antifreeze, just Propylene Glycol, the active ingredient in Antifreeze…pretty much the same thing if you ask me.
High exposure to Propylene Glycol causes death, heart problems, kidney damage, slurred speech, convulsions and nausea. In animal testing, it caused birth defects and low sperm counts. However, since Propylene Glycol is found in so many products we use (and eat!) on a daily basis, who’s to say that we aren’t being exposed to it at a high enough level?
You can find Propylene Glycol in Antifreeze, brake fluids, certain processed foods, cosmetics, and in some medicines…things that all of us use on a regular basis! The MSDS sheet warns that if you get this on your skin, you need to wash it immediately! How can that be safe to use in foods, baby wipes and other products that we use on our children’s skin?
Here’s how I see it: Propylene Glycol is a dangerous, toxic chemical that causes severe health problems. Then, the FDA claims that in “small amounts”, it is safe for use on our children’s sensitive skin…safe for us to eat. Since the FDA has not conducted any tests, how do they know it’s safe? How do they know how much is safe?
If I use 15 baby wipes containing Propylene Glycol on my baby per day, is that safe? How about if I use those 15 baby wipes, AND use baby soap AND baby lotion, then feed my baby food containing Propylene Glycol? Is it still safe?
I read the other day that you should purchase foods that have a maximum of five ingredients; and they should all be ingredients that you KNOW and would put in your own recipes! I think we should all do this; it would certainly send a message to the food industry that we are serious about these ingredients that are killing our kids!
How many products including water, air, inside and outside of the market place, in cars, boats, and probably most things we consume, apply, and are exposed to are really safe for our well being?
Also, there is an issue and perhaps even an ‘Agenda’ that has been brought to our attention via the ‘Internet’ regarding our participation in a world covering concern regarding ‘population control’.
With all the shenanigans going on to distract us from realizing that more is going on because of our living the way we do on the only world we know of that our participation in our personal lives and community has been manipulated behind the scenes for about 11,000 years or so. I think it’s about time we wake-up and gather together and discover who is taking what little joy we used to have and washing it down the proverbial drain?
Going shopping is a necessary event yes, however, we should not be eliminated from the face of our Earth by doing so.
Propylene Glycol is not antifreeze. Antifreeze is Ethylene Glycol.
PG metabolizes in the liver into citric acid, and the rest is excreted by the body. It won’t dry out your skin like alcohol does, alcohol is bad why isn’t that on the list? People actually died from alcohol. Lots of people. But your probably like wine right? Or are you a whisky person?
The suggestion in the msds to wash your hands immediately after handling is for factory workers who are exposed to gallons of the stuff everyday. The most you’ll be exposed to daily is a teaspoon. Unless you vape then maybe more but 90% of it if not all is exhaled anyways.
I’m just saying this because of this propaganda to make PG sound really bad is allowing the government to tax and put restrictions on electronic cigarette products. Ok it’s not the same thing. It’s way less dangerous than cigarettes, cuz no cancer. People feared pneumonia but PG has actually been used in air conditioners for years in hospitals because it prevents moisture build up it also is antibacterial I won’t say it’s healthy but it’s been proven safe to inhale for doctors and patients for over 50 years now. Many people who started vaping years ago actually noticed they don’t get colds in the winter anymore. Neat eh? Anyways it’s not the devil you think it is it’s pretty safe actually here’s a report from an actual chemist.
But actually is that even going to matter it’s from the internet.. everything is.
The ld50 for ingestion is 18500mg/kg so basically 1/4 ounce per pound. So if you weight 130lbs you’d need to drink 32 ounces of PG to die. Lol nobody is gonna do that. But somebody might take 15 aspirins. Or drink 36 shots of whisky within 2 hours.. possible, but who’s stupid enough?
Did you know they put antifreeze on the roads in the winter? It’s called sodium chloride, and they put it in nearly every food! In high doses it causes dehydration, nausea, and even can cause the victim to have a heart attack or high blood pressure! That’s the real danger. Salt is dangerous.
That’s all fine, and sounds great LEE, but I still don’t want it on my child’s bottom. You can keep it for yourself since you think so highly of it. No one can say what the effect is on each individual child, so parents, come to your own intuitive decisions. Personally, no thanks, and let’s try and stay on subject.
Im not a big fan of the antifreeze ear ringing either
I usually read up on things, and have for 30 years, and stopped wearing deodorant, because the number one ingredient is propylene glycol….WE are overloaded in our food, water, and every day products….and now the air, I can’t control everything, but I can control, what I eat, and put on my skin…
Propylene glycol can be used in antifreeze because it lowers the freezing point of water… that’s it. It actually tends to be used in the more non-toxic antifreezes.
And also, I believe the SDS for ANY chemical will tell you to wash your skin immediately. Just to check, I looked up an SDS for solid sodium chloride and it says “In case of skin contact:
Wash off with soap and plenty of water.” So it just sounds like you’re really reaching for ways this compound can be dangerous.
ECD, being a parent does not make you a scientist… if anything, it tends to blind you to logic and reason.
Person: “Did you know that, in large quantities, hydrogen monoxide will kill you?”
Overreacting Parent Typing up a Blog Post: “Hydrogen Monoxide is KILLING Our CHILDREN.”
Just because you don’t understand something, doesn’t mean it’s dangerous. That line of thinking is what is dangerous.
I saw that this ingredient is in Tim Hortons iced Capps, which I treated myself to during my last pregnancy. My daughter ended up with adhesive bands and a twist in her intestine. I never drank caffeine with my other three pregnancies and did not realize this drink had anything like this in it or I would not have indulged. I can’t help but think she had an inflammatory response to something like that which caused her issue ?